The following is a current job opening:
Grant Writer — Full-Time, San Francisco
Challenging conventional wisdom in 1993, Sustainable Conservation’s founders posed a simple, but bold, question, “What if protecting the environment could also be good for business?” Not your typical environmentalists, our visionary founders hailed from the corporate world. Working with business – not against it – they knew California could achieve true sustainability, balancing both environmental and economic needs. As each new initiative brought tangible results, Sustainable Conservation earned the trust and respect of a diverse set of stakeholders – from industry and scientists, to government and other environmental leaders. Twenty-three years later, we’ve turned a simple question into a unique brand of environmental problem-solving, and a powerful collaborative model for others to follow.
Sustainable Conservation partners with business, agriculture and government leaders to find practical ways that the private sector can address California’s toughest environmental challenges. Our award-winning nonprofit leads powerful collaborations that produce lasting solutions. By promoting effective business and agricultural practices throughout California, Sustainable Conservation and its partners are shifting entire industries toward sound environmental stewardship.
Our passionate staff of 30 is comprised of accomplished and collaborative leaders with expertise ranging from environmental stewardship, management, fundraising, communications, and organizational development, to finance. We are seeking a highly capable, full-time Grant Writer to join our passionate and dedicated team. In this position, the Grant Writer plays an essential role in our organization’s pursuit of solutions to California’s toughest environmental problems by increasing our capacity to raise foundation and corporate revenues to support our work. This position will report to the Director of Foundation and Corporate Relations and will also work very closely with program staff.
Our ideal candidate is an excellent writer, self-motivated, organized, reliable and values collaboration. S/he has a background in Environmental Studies, some grant writing experience, and is capable of quickly learning about and writing about our programs for foundation and corporate funders.
Reports and Proposals:
- Write, update, proofread, and submit a high volume of comprehensive grant reports, successful grant proposals, and letters of intent in collaboration with program staff.
- Coordinate the development of proposal budgets and financial reports with finance staff.
- Maintain comprehensive grants and prospects calendar for proposal and report due dates, and develop timelines for internal review process.
- Track and manage all deadlines and ensure they are met.
Stewardship and Additional Duties:
- Assist with relationship management as needed, including scheduling meetings and assembling follow up communications.
- Research and identify foundation and corporate prospects.
- Oversee/manage foundation files.
- Oversee/manage foundation entries and communication files in donor database, including implementation of moves management schedules for foundation contacts and stewardship.
Core Competencies, Skills, and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree – Environmental Studies or Journalism a plus.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills, with high attention to detail.
- Proven ability to synthesize and convey complex information for a wide variety of audiences.
- Ability to write persuasively, clearly, and concisely, and to seamlessly blend together information from multiple sources.
- Highly developed time management skills with ability to prioritize large volume of work with strict deadlines.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with ability to ask clarifying questions, build rapport, maintain relationships, and respond with flexibility to unanticipated requests.
- Ability to work independently, collaboratively with a team, and across teams.
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel.
- Good sense of humor.
Physical Requirements: Heavy keyboard work, sitting for long periods
What we offer: A competitive compensation package based on experience, fully-paid health insurance benefits, generous match on 401k, vacation, sick leave, plus the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day as holiday leave. Our best benefit is our culture! Our entire staff is collaborative and caring. Our Development and Communications team is amazingly talented, hard-working, and supportive of each other.
To apply: Please send resume and cover letter describing how your prior experience will set you up for success in this position. Please also include salary of last position as well as salary desired. Jobs@suscon.org No phone calls please. We will contact you if we need more information or wish to set up an interview. Please include “Grant Writer” in Subject line.
Sustainable Conservation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.