GRANT WRITER – Full-Time, San Francisco
Sustainable Conservation partners with business, agriculture and government leaders to find practical ways that the private sector can address California’s toughest environmental challenges. Our award-winning nonprofit leads powerful collaborations that produce lasting solutions for California’s toughest environmental challenges.
We are seeking a highly capable, experienced Grant Writer to join our passionate and dedicated team. The Grant Writer is essential to increasing our capacity to raise foundation and corporate revenues to support our work. S/he is responsible for writing, updating, proofreading and submitting a high volume of comprehensive grant reports, successful proposals and letters of intent in collaboration with program staff.
Our ideal candidate is highly organized, detail-oriented, and has prior grant proposal/report writing experience with the ability to synthesize complex information. S/he should be capable of quickly learning and writing about our programs for foundation and corporate funders. A strong work ethic with experience managing multiple deadlines and ongoing projects is critical. Prior database experience and an aptitude for developing efficient administrative processes is highly desired.
This position reports to the Director of Foundation and Corporate Relations and works very closely with program staff.
Reports and Proposals:
- – Write, update, proofread, and submit a high volume of comprehensive grant reports, successful grant proposals, and letters of intent in collaboration with program staff.
- – Coordinate the development of proposal budgets and financial reports with finance staff.
- – Maintain comprehensive grants and prospects calendar for proposals and reports, and develop timelines for internal review process. Track and manage all deadlines and ensure they are met.
- – Research, identify, and analyze potential foundation and corporate funding opportunities.
Database & SharePoint Records:
- – Maintain institutional entries and communication files in Donor Perfect database, including implementation of moves management schedules for foundation contacts and stewardship.
- – Maintain institutional records and files in SharePoint.
Core Competencies, Skills, and Experience Required:
- – Bachelor’s degree – Environmental Studies, Journalism, English a plus.
- – Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills, with high attention to detail.
- – Ability to write persuasively, clearly, and concisely, and to seamlessly blend together information from multiple sources including previously written reports and proposals.
- – Strong work ethic with highly developed time management skills and ability to prioritize large volume of work with strict deadlines.
- – Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with ability to ask clarifying questions, build rapport, maintain relationships, and respond with flexibility to unanticipated requests.
- – Ability to work independently, collaboratively with a team, and across teams.
- – Ability to efficiently schedule meetings and reviews with very busy Program staff.
- – Proficiency in MS Word and Excel. Experience with Office365/SharePoint a plus.
- – Experience with donor database systems, Donor Perfect Online a plus.
- – Strong technical skills and experience developing or improving upon systems to manage the administrative components of the job is highly desirable.
Physical Requirements: Heavy keyboard work, sitting or standing at desk for long periods. Ability to work overtime and weekends required at times.
What we offer: A competitive compensation package based on experience, fully-paid health, dental and vision insurance benefits, generous match on 401k, vacation, sick leave, plus the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day as holiday leave. Our best benefit is our culture! Our entire staff is collaborative and caring. Our Development and Communications team is amazingly talented, hard-working, and supportive of each other.
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter describing how your prior experience will set you up for success in this position. Please also include salary of last position as well as salary desired. Jobs@suscon.org. No phone calls please. We will contact you if we need more information or wish to set up an interview.
Please include “Grant Writer” in Subject line.
Sustainable Conservation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.