Donor Database and Prospect Research Manager
Full-time, San Francisco
ABOUT SUSTAINABLE CONSERVATION
Sustainable Conservation helps California thrive by uniting people to solve the toughest challenges facing our land, air, and water. Every day, we bring together business, landowners, and government to steward the resources on which we all depend in ways that make economic sense. Because we know that common ground is California’s most important resource.
The Donor Database and Prospect Research Manager is a newly created position reporting to the Director of Development. The Manager will join a seasoned five-person development team responsible for raising over $4.8 million annually from individuals, foundations, and corporations. The Manager will provide critical support to achieve Sustainable Conservation’s fundraising goals and broaden the existing base of support. Working closely with all members of the department, this position will have ownership of the donor database (DonorPerfect Online) and provide leadership on the effective use of the database to others in the department. This position will also be responsible for donor and prospect research for individuals, foundations, and corporations, and assist with prospect management. The Manager will initiate identification of likely donors for inclusion in cultivation efforts. Our ideal candidate has experience working with databases and details with an aptitude for getting the best results to support fundraising objectives. The candidate would be also enjoy conducting research, analysis, and working independently while being part of a larger team.
Database management: (Approx. 60%)
Serves as key individual responsible for managing and maintaining the DonorPerfect Online (DPO) database, including: maintaining current and accurate contacts, data imports, and gift entry. Creates and analyzes reports generated from DPO to support the success of annual fundraising plan.
Database Administration and System Oversight:
- Leads complex data entry and maintenance tasks in database such as: data imports, global additions & changes, inactivating unused or dated codes, and setting up security and global settings for all users.
- Takes responsibility for the overall integrity of the data and pride in maintaining a clean and effective database.
- Acts as the main staff liaison with account contact at DonorPerfect.
Gift entry and Acknowledgement:
- Processes all gifts and pledges/awards including checks, online gifts, stock gifts and in-kind donations in DonorPerfect Online (DPO) database.
- Prepares acknowledgment letters and other donor-related correspondence as directed; Maintains strict 24-48-hour turnaround timeframe for acknowledgments.
- Reconciles gifts on a monthly basis with the Accounting team.
- Partners with Accounting team to prepare documents for audit.
Data Management and Development Services:
- Generates daily and monthly gift reports to staff and Board.
- Monitors monthly donor contributions, including outreach to donors with expired credit cards and responding to inquiries as needed.
- Ensures accuracy of all donor records in database. Takes lead on all augmentation and clean-up of existing data. Ensures constituent data is fresh, current and as enhanced as possible to make most effective use of available information.
- Provides support to frontline fundraisers in setting up and inputting Moves Management queries
- Produces donor reports and data exports for all Development staff needs including:
- Lists for mailings, event invitations, and annual report donor recognition
- Data for grant reports and proposals, and
- Moves management for donor/prospect advancement purposes.
- Tracks RSVPs and donor responses for events, and imports into database.
- Conducts periodic donor analyses including year-end analyses and appeal analyses.
- Updates quarterly organizational dashboard for Board review.
- Ensures proper utilization of database by all involved parties by proactively scheduling regular internal training sessions amongst staff as well as professional trainings with DPO, as needed.
Research: (Approx. 40%)
Conduct individual donor, corporate and foundation research, including: tracking research requests, conducting donor and prospect research, and wealth screenings using iWave and other sources. Research will inform portfolio development, and individual donor, foundation and corporate funding strategies. This role is crucial to the organization’s success in its ability to identify, cultivate and steward new and existing relationships.
- Conducts prospect research on individuals, corporations and foundations to support frontline fundraisers’ and Executive director’s efforts in their cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies.
- Recommends and utilizes online services (iWave), internet, print and electronic media, research directories, and other reference sources to expand prospect and donor information.
- Identifies capacity, interests, philanthropy and relationships to support qualification of new funders. Assesses upgrade/renewals options with existing donors.
- Examines and analyzes results of wealth screenings to identify donors with potential to make major gifts
- Identifies lapsed and under-cultivated donors with higher capacity and prioritizes candidates for outreach.
- Prepares briefing materials for events and meetings, with emphasis on constituents’ wealth, gift capacity, interests (including philanthropic interests) and relationships and analysis thereof.
- Partners with Development staff and Executive Director to evaluate research findings and implement strategies that ensure prospect development efficiency and effectiveness.
- Manages prospect identification, research and cultivation processes with Board of Directors and key volunteers/engaged donors.
- Researches and provides annotated guest lists and event profiles for upcoming events
- Works closely with Development team to compile donor and prospect information garnered from events, and import into database.
- Stays current with emerging trends and uses CARA & APRA membership for information and training.
CORE COMPETENCIES, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Demonstrated database management and administration experience including accurate data pulls and report generation, preferably in a nonprofit environment.
- Familiarity with online databases and resources relevant to the position.
- Acute attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent research, writing and editing skills; self-directed and curious; ability to retrieve, analyze and synthesize information into concise reports and donor profiles.
- 2-4+ years experience in a fundraising/development position highly desirable.
- Proficiency in prospect research and data analysis preferred.
- Ability to make independent recommendations to proactively resolve and advance projects, while serving as a key member of a highly collaborative team.
- Flexibility, creativity and a sense of humor highly valued!
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience, library science background a definite plus.
- Heavy keyboard work, sitting at desk for long periods.
- Ability to work evenings required occasionally to support events.
WHAT WE OFFER
A competitive compensation package based on experience, fully-paid health, dental and vision insurance benefits, generous match on 401k, vacation, sick leave, plus the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day as holiday leave. Our best benefit is our culture! Our entire staff is collaborative and caring. Our Development and Communications team is amazingly talented, hard-working, and supportive of each other.
Please send resume and cover letter describing how your prior experience will set you up for success in this position.
EMAIL TO: Jobs@suscon.org. Please include “DDPR Mgr” in Subject line.
No phone calls please. We will contact you if we need more information or wish to set up an interview.
Sustainable Conservation is committed to providing equal employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or any other characteristic protected under federal or state law.