Leopold Conservation Award
Celebrating California Farmers, Ranchers and Other Landowners for Sound Stewardship
There’s one vital group of Californians that perhaps gets praised the least for promoting a healthy environment across the state: landowners.
Because more than 50% of all land in California is privately owned, how these folks manage their properties has a dramatic and lasting effect on the environment — from climate change, to clean air and water, to wildlife. They are the front-line defenders in protecting the quality of our air and water, landscapes that protect people and wildlife alike, and ensuring a healthy climate for the state. Moreover, the fate of imperiled species, 90% of which make their homes on private land, largely rests in these individual’s hands.
Leopold Conservation Award
That’s why in 2006 we teamed up with Sand County Foundation — a Wisconsin-based nonprofit that works with landowners to improve wildlife and habitat nationally — and the California Farm Bureau Federation to co-sponsor the first-ever Leopold Conservation Award in California. Advancing sustainable land stewardship is something we’ve been championing for nearly two decades.
Dedicated to the spirit of world-renowned conservationist Aldo Leopold (author of A Sand County Almanac), the Leopold Conservation Award celebrates the extraordinary efforts of California farmers and ranchers to protect and restore the natural resources they preside over. Having become a resounding success in seven states — and here in the Golden State — the award also aims to inspire other would-be conservationists and promote a better understanding among the public about the important role landowners play in sustaining a healthy planet.
Leopold Conservation Award Recipients
- 2021Marie & Glenn NaderWitcher Creek RanchModoc County
- 2020Burroughs Family of FarmsBurroughs Family of FarmsStanislaus County
- 2019Bruce & Rick RomingerRominger Brothers FarmsYolo County
- 2018Lundberg Family FarmsButte County
- 2017Jeff Thomson and FamilyC. Jeff Thomson, InternationalKern County
- 2016Mark and Dina MooreLone Star RanchHumboldt County
- 2015Jim and Mary RickertPrather RanchShasta County
- 2014Andrew Brait, Paul Muller, Judith Redmond and Dru RiversFull Belly FarmYolo County
- 2013Bob Giacomini and familyPoint Reyes Farmstead Cheese CompanyMarin County
- 2012Dino GiacomazziGiacomazzi DairyKings County
- 2011Tim KoopmannTim Koopmann, RancherAlameda County
- 2010Al MontnaMontna FarmsYuba County
- 2009John DienerRed Rock RanchFresno County
- 2008Chet VogtThree Creeks RanchGlenn County
- 2007Craig McNamaraSierra OrchardsYolo County
- 2006Brad and Randy LangeLange Twins Wine EstatesYolo County